It’s that time again … AAU season is here! With two weeks of games already completed, now is the perfect time for players, coaches and parents to take a minute and focus/refocus on what improvements can be made for the rest of the 12-week season.
We, as players, all have our individual and team goals, but there are a few easy and quick tips you might want to include in your daily habits, in order to see the most successful outcomes.
Things to consider:
- Nutrition: You want to make sure that you’re eating balanced meals throughout the day. While several studies make the claim that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, balanced meals with lunch and dinner are just as vital for an athlete’s body.
- Keep in mind that when you break down your muscles during training, it’s imperative that you allow them to recover by eating correctly, as well as timely.
- Get a good source of protein within 30 minutes after training. Aren’t hungry after your hard workout? Whey protein can be a great post-workout drink.
- Restore glucose/glycogen levels to stimulate insulin release. Drink a glass of orange juice. Your body will begin to store away the excess carbohydrates into your muscles. Plus it can taste refreshing!
- Ensure sustained energy levels by refueling depleted muscles. Eat a granola bar or another source of complex carbohydrate.
- Before bedtime, eat a recovery meal. A light snack, such as a yogurt, banana or granola bar will do!
- Proper cool down and stretch: After your workout, it is important to restore your body back to it’s original state and bring your heart rate back down. A good way to cool down is slowly come out of your workout and walk around for a little bit . Once getting your heart rate back to a settled state, you can begin to stretch. Take about 5-10 minutes to stretch out your arms and legs, and any other areas that may feel tight.
- Routine: Make sure you build and sustain a routine for yourself and team. Your actions are what are going to separate you from the rest and ultimately, give yourself the best chance to accomplish your goals.
- Have TONS of FUN! While you’re extremely excited (as you should be) for the season, make sure in the mist of all the success, failure, wins, losses, lessons and goals that you remember to have fun. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. This is something you love and it can be used as a platform in so many different ways. You owe yourself to have a blast and share your gifts with others!
To find out more on Spokane AAU, visit our website at www.spokaneaau.com.